Monday, January 27, 2014

Melina's Six Natural/Organic Makeup Must Haves


As Meg once remarked to me when I was raving about whatever new facial scrub or moisturizer or lip color I'd been obsessing over at the time: "You love products." It's true; I tend towards the fanatical about whatever products I get attached to, and sometimes it's hard for me to resist proselytizing about them on the street to perfect strangers. Especially when it comes to skincare products. I have sensitive & acne prone skin, so whenever I found something that seemed to have promising results, I was so ecstatic that I'd start chatting about its life-changing impact with random women on the subway.


Fortunately, two major things have changed since then: 1) now I can just write about these things on a blog instead of approaching strangers who probably don't care about my overwhelming enthusiasm for skin care and 2) I've switched over to natural products for my daily make-up routine that have significantly minimized my skin drama. When I was growing up with my hippie parents, my eyes literally couldn't roll hard enough when they tried to lecture me about all the nasties in cosmetics. However, most of my resistance came from the fact that natural makeup just wasn't good makeup back in the day. But that's changed drastically, and now it's possible to avoid exposing your skin to harsh chemicals without sacrificing the coverage and rich, bright pigments I crave in cosmetics.


So, without further ado, here are my current make-up must haves for my daily face:

1. 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Tinted Moisturizer

I've been using powder/mineral based make-up for a while, which does give great coverage, but I recently switched to this creamy tinted moisturizer & I have not looked back. It's makeup that doesn't look like MAKEUP, but it also offers sufficient coverage for my blemishes/uneven skin tone. It has built- in SPF 20, and gives my skin a healthy glow that has never come "naturally" to me. However, most significantly, I've seen a big reduction in skin irritation and acne since I've used it--so check this out if you need a detox from your usual tinted moisturizer or concealer. My skin is on the oily side, so occasionally I brush some mineral powder over it, if I'm really worried about shine. Faerie Organic has some that I absolutely love--with a great airbrush finish.

2. 100% Pure Pink Grapefruit Glow Lip & Cheek Tint

I always break out when I use powdered blush, so this creamy cheek tint has been a lifesaver. It can double as a lip tint, which is great because it's filled with shea and cocoa butter so the moisturizing factor is on point. Like the tinted moisturizer and the mascara, it's colored with fruit & vegetable pigment instead of synthetic dyes, and it comes in several different shades.


3. ZuZu Luxe Liquid Eyeliner in Raven

Really rich, dark color, easy application, and lasting wear. This is my daily eyeliner, but I have also been able to use it for more dramatic looks with fake eyelashes, etc. I'm even wearing it in my last post. ZuZu says that it is "Enriched with vitamins and herbal extracts to gently smooth and protect the delicate eye area," and I definitely find it to be easier on my eyes—and my skin.

4. 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Mascara

I seriously get complimented on this mascara all the time. It's pigmented with berries and black tea, and the brush is fantastic so it truly lengthens lashes. A disclaimer: It smudges just slightly more than conventional mascaras, but not enough to keep it from being my favorite.


5. Ilia Lipstick in "Neon Angel"

I have this lipstick in Femme Fatale too, thanks to K., and I've been loving the colors as much as the creamy moisturizing feel. About halfway through December, my lips became officially too dry for most of the matte lipsticks that make up my standards, and Ilia's nourishing formula, which contains rose hip oil and aloe leaf juice, has been an essential part of my recovery. And no parabens!


I have posted about Tillie Polish before, and everything I said still stands. I love this stuff! Golden Goddess is my current fav, even though it is part of their summer collection.

What are your favorite cosmetics, femmes?

xoxo,
melina

1 comment: