Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Femmestagram update: Melina's May & June

Hi femmes & friends! It's obviously been a while since we've had a post here on Femmepirical Evidence, but I wanted to catch up with you and share some outfits from some recent significant events in my life.

First: I passed my orals exam! After months of stress and worry, the experience proved to be exactly what I hoped it would be: a fantastic conversation about things I care about with three faculty mentors I felt honored to work with. From chatting about the body in Frances Burney's novels, to a discussion about empathy and Loren Cameron's Body Alchemy: Transsexual Portraits, to analysis of Susan Sontag's positioning of herself as cultural critic (rather than feminist queer), it was amazing. I'm feeling really excited about my future in the program. 

Now, on to what I wore: my go-to basic black dress from Ann Taylor loft (super soft and comfy but sturdy enough to stay professional) with a floral print cardigan & a sea foam green belt with textured polka dots from J.Crew Factory. My lip color was "Babe" velvet matte by vmv hypoallergenics. My margarita was delicious. 



Two days after my orals exam, I suddenly had another reason to celebrate--K. surprised me with an engagement ring in the middle of our drag show! Could he be any more wonderful? You can watch a video here. Thanks, Ilana!


Our friend Deborah snapped some great Instagram shots (above) and BFF Fuchsia was there shooting the show, so the surprise was very well documented. Fuchsia and I had done some major thrifting damage earlier that day, so my femme-cee look was everything I'd dreamed of and more. I felt so pretty as a blonde in this flowy 60s-inspired pink gown with beading that I picked up for $8 at Vice Versa. K's shirt is from J.crew factory & the tie is from Topman. Shout out to Meg and Ali for sending us a champagne toast all the way from the west coast!


By the way, the bling is the hexagon ring by Satomi Kawakita sold at Catbird -- I've been in love with it forever. We're deep in the process of wedding planning right now, and I can't wait to share more details about our budget-friendly/super queer/karaoke/BBQ/drag show nuptial extravaganza with all of you soon. For now, I'll just offer this shot of me trying on my mother's wedding dress, which she made by hand in 1980. 


Finally, I want to share my first outfit from Pride season! K. and I missed out on a lot of pride stuff last year when we were planning for our big trip to England and I was frantically perfecting my conference paper. So this year, I wanted to be back with a vengeance. I took the opportunity to debut this oversized sun hat that I thrifted with Fuchsia in the fall, pairing it with this dress, which is a reclaimed Hot Topic piece from high school. That's right--you know the dress. With all the black tulle sticking out of the bottom? I found it while cleaning out my closet at my mom's, realized the shape was rocking, and with a few quick snips, went from a angsty teen to femme pin-up queen. I completed the outfit with my trusty Sanita Dawn sandals from last year & my "feminist killjoy" necklace, obviously. Oh, and my le specs "runaway" sunnies, which look good with everything.

Shout out to Shannon, who I hope will be contributing to the blog sometime soon!

That's all for now, friends! How are you? What are you looking forward to this summer?

Xoxo,
melina

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh that wedding dress!!! Picture me with total cartoon heart-eyes. And congratulations!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the great ideas! I was sitting at my computer today and could not for the life of me think of something to write about. This was really helpful. Thanks again!



    allah barkat locket | Wonder Shapers | Dhanlaxmi Yantra |Body Buildo | Step Up Height Increaser

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you looking for free Instagram Followers and Likes?
    Did you know you can get them AUTOMATICALLY & TOTALLY FOR FREE by registering on Like 4 Like?

    ReplyDelete